Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rabbits Motel by Woody Pines


In my younger days I styled myself a restless vagabond, Woody Gunthrie was my life's soundtrack and Kerouac was my narrative, though I can't sing nor write I releshed in the life style of 'just go man' wandering the country never staying in one place long. These days those wandering ways exsit still in my head through music and Woody Pines is one of those storytelling troubadours that keeps that wander lust fresh in my mind.
Pines, whose early performances borrowed from vaudeville and involved elaborate back drops, admits, "I believe in the visual. I'm always thinking of new ways to make it a show. Some people want to just keep it real, but when you're on stage it's a show.

Who Told Ya.mp3

With his brand-new, full-length album, Rabbits Motel, Woody Pines returns to the roads that have long inspired him, packing along his many inspirations, from Bill Haley to Leadbelly, Chuck Berry to Hank Williams, and Sam Cook to Doc Watson. True to form, most of the songs on the album are original, though we challenge you to tell us which ones just from listening. This is juke joint music, the kind of roadhouse songs that are made to get people up and dancing. With Rabbits Motel, Woody took the time to really use the studio to his advantage, bringing a much harder edge to his music. Still thoroughly grounded in the blues and rags of before, this album has a strong independent streak. The song “Hobo & His Bride” starts from a folk song foundation but winds up a kind of epic tale about young lovers. “Railroad Vine” speaks of long train travels while channeling a dusty Southwest vibe. The infectious opening song “Like I Do” bumps along like a pickup on an old dirt road, singing about shattered relationships. Woody Pines’ new full studio sound leaves the street corner behind, but opens up rich new possibilities.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...